North Island 2 Week Tour
- Day 1 Fly into Auckland Airport
I will pick you up from the Airport and take you to your accommodation in Auckland.
Today we will drive to Paihia the heart of the Bay of islands. We will stop off at various attractions along the way. The afternoon will be spent at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, one of the most historic parts of New Zealand history. You can enjoy a guided tour and also some time strolling around these panoramic grounds with fabulous views across to the Bay of Islands. We will return to Paihia for your night's accommodation.
- Today you will join a Cruise to the Hole in The Rock on a catamaran and explore the beautiful Bay of Islands. You will see the historic Cape Brett lighthouse and pass through the majestic Hole in the Rock. You will visit Urupukapuka Island and visit the stunning shores and for those who wish to climb to the top you will be rewarded with spectacular views. I will pick you up later and take you up to Maiki Hill where famous flagstaff, cut down 4 times between 1844 and 1845 by one of the Maori Chiefs. The views from the top are also spectacular. We will then make our way eventually back to Paihia via a scenic coastal drive calling into some beautiful bays along the way. Your night's accommodation will be in Paihia.
Today we will make our way up to historic Kerikeri where in 1814 Reverend Samuel Marsden arrived in the Bay of Islands and held New Zealand's first church service.
The Stone Store and the Mission House (Kemp House) built by Marsden’s early missionaries are New Zealand’s oldest standing European buildings. It is now known as the Mission Stonehouse Store and well worth a visit. We will then make our way to Wairere Boulders the only known basalt boulder valley world-wide with huge rocks in the middle of clay country. The rocks are over 2 million years old and there are some lovely short walks to explore this very unusual region in New Zealand. We will then make our way across to Opononi on the West Coast for your night's accommodation,
- We leave Opononi to travel through Dargaville and to explore some of the magnificent Kauri Trees of the North island as in Tane Mahuta and a stop off at the Kauri Museum also along the way. We will then make our way to Warkworth for your night's accommodation.
- Today we will make our way down through Thames and a very scenic coastal drive through the fabulous Pohutakawa Trees which line the road and in December are a stunning array of Red (NZ Christmas Tree). We will then make our way into Coromandel where you will join a short 1 Hour train journey takes you through replanted native Kauri forest and includes 2 spirals, 3 short tunnels, 5 reversing points and several large viaducts as it climbs up to the mountain-top terminus. It offers great panoramic views out over the island-studded Hauraki Gulf with the forested valley and mountains behind. Your night's accommodation will be in Coromandel.
- Today we will leave Rotorua and travel through some of the back roads passing some stunning scenery to Whakatane. There will be plenty of time to do a spot of fishing if you choose on your way out as there are many guided fishing tours by fly and boat fishing near Rotorua.Your night's accommodation will be in Whakatane.
- Today you will join a White Island Tour crew aboard a luxury
cruiser for a 6 hour adventure to explore New Zealand’s only
active marine volcano – White Island.
Sitting 49km off the coast , this is one of the world’s most accessible live volcanoes. With the majority of the volcano sitting beneath the sea it means you are able to get directly into the crater complex – no mountain climbing required.
You are able to get up close to roaring steam vents, bubbling pits of mud, hot volcanic streams and the amazing lake of steaming acid. The vivid hues of yellow and orange resulting from the abundant sulphur on the island make it a photographer’s dream.
Your night's accommodation will be in Whakatane.
- Today we will make our way through some more back roads with lovely scenery across to Huka Falls which is a natural attraction in New Zealand. It's quite remarkable to see the power of these falls. It will be then onto Wairakei the area of a Geothermal Power Station before making our way to Napier the Art Deco Capital of the Southern Hemisphere. Your night will be in Napier.
- We will leave Napier via a few of the fine Vineyards in this area for some wine tastings before we drive into the Mountain Region of Tongariro National Park for your night's accommodation. Here there will be some opportunities to explore a few short walks the next day before we leave. If you choose to do a longer walk we would stay an extra night here.
- We will leave Tongaririo today to make your way through to Auckland. We will travel through some alternative roads passing through the lush pastoral countryside and the Hydro Villages situated on the Waikato River. Night in Auckland before flight out next day.
- Day 14 - Flight Out
The Total Cost For This Tour :
2 Persons - NZ $8145.00 each
4 Persons - NZ $5040.00 each
14 Nights 4 Star accommodation with 8 breakfasts (Self contained other accommodation)
14 Days Private Flexible Touring including Airport Transfers
Kiwi House Entry & Native Bird Park
Waitomo Caves Tour
White Island Cruise incl lunch
Hole In the Rock Cruise
Waiwere Boulders Entry
Treaty of Waitangi Grounds
1 Hour Train Journey Coromandel
Whakarewarewa Tour incl lunch