New Zealand 3 Week Private Guided Tour - Bay of Islands to Christchurch
- Fly into Auckland Airport
on what time your flight arrives I will pick you up at the Airport and
take you on a city tour of Auckland before taking you to your
- Today we will drive to Paihia the heart of the Bay of islands. We will stop off at various attractions along the way. The afternoon will be spent at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, one of the most historic parts of New Zealand history. You can enjoy a guided tour and also some time strolling around these panoramic grounds with fabulous views across to the Bay of Islands. We will return to Paihia for your night's accommodation.
- Today you will join a Cruise to the Hole in The Rock on a catamaran and explore the beautiful Bay of Islands. You will see the historic Cape Brett lighthouse and pass through the majestic Hole in the Rock. You will visit Urupukapuka Island and visit the stunning shores and for those who wish to climb to the top you will be rewarded with spectacular views. I will pick you up later and take you up to Maiki Hill where famous flagstaff, cut down 4 times between 1844 and 1845 by one of the Maori Chiefs. The views from the top are also spectacular. We will then make our way eventually back to Paihia via a scenic coastal drive calling into some beautiful bays along the way. Your night's accommodation will be in Paihia.
- Today we will make our way up to historic Kerikeri where in 1814 Reverend Samuel Marsden arrived in the Bay of Islands and held New Zealand's first church service.
The Stone Store and the Mission House (Kemp House) built by Marsden’s early missionaries are New Zealand’s oldest standing European buildings. It is now known as the Mission Stonehouse Store and well worth a visit. We will then make our way to Wairere Boulders the only known basalt boulder valley world-wide with huge rocks in the middle of clay country. The rocks are over 2 million years old and there are some lovely short walks to explore this very unusual region in New Zealand. We will then make our way across to Opononi on the West Coast for your night's accommodation,
- We leave Opononi to travel through Dargaville and to explore some of the magnificent Kauri Trees of the North island as in Tane Mahuta and a stop off at the Kauri Museum also along the way. We will then make our way to Warkworth for your night's accommodation.
- Today we will make our way through Thames and a very scenic coastal drive through the fabulous Pohutakawa Trees which line the road and in December are a stunning array of Red colour (NZ Christmas Tree). We will then make our way into Coromandel where you will join a short 1 Hour train journey taking you through replanted native Kauri forest and includes 2 spirals, 3 short tunnels, 5 reversing points and several large viaducts as it climbs up to the mountain-top terminus. It offers great panoramic views out over the island-studded Hauraki Gulf with the forested valley and mountains behind. Your night's accommodation will be in Coromandel.
- We will drive today to Rotorua to visit a living Maori Village of Whakarewarewa. You will join a tour to enjoy traditional song & dance performances by the Te Pakira Performance Group and then afterwards lunch from a Hangi - traditional Maori way of cooking.afternoon. Maybe a swim in the hot pools...later that afternoon ...don't forget your swimmers.Your night's accommodation will be in Rotorua
- Today you will visit one of the best Geothermal areas of New Zealand to Orakei Korako where you catch a short ferry crossing to this spectacular Hidden Valley as it is called. You can spend a couple of hours walking the boardwalks around the amazing mud pools and geysers. Afterwards will make our way across to Huka Falls which is a natural attraction in New Zealand and on through Wairakei where I will take you to a lookout with amazing views of the Geothermal Power Station. We will drive through to Napier the Art Deco capital of the Southern Hemisphere. After a devastating earthquake in 1931, it chose to adopt this distinctive style of architecture. Your night will be in Napier
we will make our way down through the wine regions of the Hawkes Bay
and Martinborough where you can spend some time tasting a few wines on
your way to Wellington the capital of New Zealand for your night's accommodation.
- Today is a day to yourselves .There are a few options to do in Wellington to explore and also the Te Papa Museum an interactive national museum. There is also the Wellington Cable Car which has the best views of the city and harbour. Your night's accommodation will be in Wellington.
- We leave the North Island to travel through the majestic Marlborough Sounds to the South Island via the Cook Strait Ferry. This in itself is a tour on it's on with stunning scenery of all the small Islands and rural properties scattered on the way to Picton the gateway to the South Island. Here we will continue along the Charlotte Sound Drive to your accommodation in the heart of the Vineyard area of Richmond.
Today you will have time to do a wine tour if you choose or if you would prefer some walks, I will take you up to the Tasman National Park for the day. We will return to Richmond for your night's accommodation.
- Today we travel through Murchison and the Buller River and Gorge through to Westport and Punakaiki (pancake rocks )and blowholes, where columns of water shoot skyward from rocks that resemble giant stacks of hotcakes. Our coastal drive with panoramic views takes you through to Hokitika the Greenstone capital of New Zealand for your night's accommodation.
This morning you can spend some time having a look around this delightful art and craft town of Hokitika before we make our way down to Franz Joseph and Fox Glacier. I will take you out to Lake Matheson, famous for its mirror-like reflections of Aoraki / Mount Cook and Mount Tasman/ Rarakiroa, New Zealand’s highest peaks, on a clear day. A delightful bush track walk follows the lake edge. There is also time for an actual walk on the Glacier if you wish or those who would prefer a scenic flight...its a great way to see the bigger picture.Your night's accommodation will be in Fox Glacier
will leave the Glacier country to travel through to the historic gold
mining town of Arrowtown. On our way we will pass over the famous Haast
Pass to the township of Wanaka with a
pristine alpine lake at its doorstep and surrounded by the spectacular
backdrop of the South Island's Southern Alps. Your night's accommodation will be in Arrowtown situated on the beautiful Arrow River.
- Today we will make our way down to Queenstown situation on the beautiful Lake Wakatipu. Here you will join a 3-4 hours cruise on the majestic Paddle Steamer TSS Earnslaw up through Lake Wakatipu to visit Walter Peak High Country Farm for a guided farm visit & barbecue lunch. After your cruisethee will be time to enjoy the surrounds of Queenstown and Arrowtown. Your night's accommodation in Arrowtown.
- Today after spending time in Arrowtown and Queenstown we will drive to Te Anau situated on the beautiful and the gateway to the different Fiords. Yournight's accommodation will be in Te Anau.
- The best way to experience the great Fiords of New Zealand is once again by water and I have chosen Doubtful Sound for you as has a few different components to it.
Your day begins in Manapouri with a cruise across the picturesque Lake Manapouri followed by a trip across New Zealand’s most expensive road over Wilmot Pass, pausing along the way to experience the dense Fiordland rain forest and view Doubtful Sound below. In Doubtful Sound you will board a purpose built catamaran for a three hour cruise. You will also have a chance to visit the Manapouri underground Power Station. Your night's accommodation will be in Te Anau.
- Today we will leave Te Anau to travel to Dunedin
and enjoy a short city drive around the City with it's stunning
Victorian and Edwardian architecture and the iconic Dunedin Railway
Station. We will then make our way out to the Otago Peninsula with panoramic views and your accommodation for the night at Larnach Castle
a house built between 1871 and 1877 for William Larnach a famous
Politician and Entrepreneaur of Colonial NZ.. It has incredible views
of the Otago Peninsula surrounded by beautiful Gardens.
- Today we will make our way through the East Coast of New Zealand stopping off at the Moeraki Boulders which are unusually large and spherical boulders lying along a stretch of Koekohe Beach. Your tour will then take you through the beautiful Waitaki Valley up into the Blue lakes district calling into a Highland Salmon Farm just out of Twizel. We will then make our way to Lake Tekapo for your night's accommodation.
- Your last day of touring will be driving to Christchurch and stopping off at Fairlie the Church of the Good Shepherd situated on the beautiful Lake Tekapo and one of the most photographed churches in the world (and proud to say I was christened here.....had to throw that in). It will be then onto Christchurch for your night's accommodation situated in the heart of the City so plenty of time to explore the new city built after the devastation of the 2011 Earthquake.
- Day 22
- Your flight out
The Total Cost For This Tour
2 Persons - NZ $11320.00 each
4 Persons - NZ $7645.00 each
This tour includes:
21 Nights 4-5 Star accommodation with 18 breakfasts(Other accommodation self-contained)
Private flexible touring for 21 Days including Airport Transfers
Wellington to PIcton Ferry Crossing
Doubtful Sound Cruise incl lunch
Lake Wakatipu Cruise at Queeenstown incl lunch
Whakarewarewa Guided Tour incl lunch
Train Journey at Coromandel
Hole in the Rock Cruise Bay of Islands
Waitangi Treaty Grounds
Please note all prices are based on Peak Time touring in NZ (Dec- Mch)