Bay of Islands - Coromomandel Peninsula - Waitomo Caves - Rotorua - Taupo - Wineries
- Fly into Auckland Airport
I will pick you up from the Airport and take you to your accommodation in Auckland for the night.
Today I will take you on a short city tour around Auckland and then over the Auckland Bridge to Devonport and to Mt Victoria with great views of the City and then on to North Head with more views out to the Islands and Rangitoto the largest of the volcanic islands in the Hauraki Gulf . There is also a naval museum for those who are interested to have a look at. We will then make our way over to the West of the Island for lunch at the Riverside Historic Hotel before making our way to Murawai with a stunning coastline and a short walk to view the Gannet Colony which is the home to thousands of Gannets who perch themselves here on the side of cliffs.
Night in Auckland
Today we will drive to Paihia the heart of the Bay of islands. We will stop off at various attractions along the way. The afternoon will be spent at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, one of the most historic parts of New Zealand history. You can enjoy a guided tour and also some time strolling around these panoramic grounds with fabulous views across to the Bay of Islands. We will return to Paihia for your night's accommodation.
- Today you will join a Cruise to the Hole in The Rock on a catamaran and explore the beautiful Bay of Islands. You will see the historic Cape Brett lighthouse and pass through the majestic Hole in the Rock. You will visit Urupukapuka Island and visit the stunning shores and for those who wish to climb to the top you will be rewarded with spectacular views. I will pick you up later and take you up to Maiki Hill where famous flagstaff, cut down 4 times between 1844 and 1845 by one of the Maori Chiefs. The views from the top are also spectacular. We will then make our way eventually back to Paihia via a scenic coastal drive calling into some beautiful bays along the way. Your night's accommodation will be in Paihia.
Today we will make our way up to historic Kerikeri where in 1814 Reverend Samuel Marsden arrived in the Bay of Islands and held New Zealand's first church service.
The Stone Store and the Mission House (Kemp House) built by Marsden’s early missionaries are New Zealand’s oldest standing European buildings. It is now known as the Mission Stonehouse Store and well worth a visit. We will then make our way to Wairere Boulders the only known basalt boulder valley world-wide with huge rocks in the middle of clay country. The rocks are over 2 million years old and there are some lovely short walks to explore this very unusual region in New Zealand. We will then make our way across to Opononi on the West Coast for your night's accommodation,
- We leave Opononi to travel through Dargaville and to explore some of the magnificent Kauri Trees of the North island as in Tane Mahuta and a stop off at the Kauri Museum also along the way. We will then make our way to Warkworth for your night's accommodation.
- Today we will make our way down through Thames and a very scenic coastal drive through the fabulous Pohutakawa Trees which line the road and in December are a stunning array of Red (NZ Christmas Tree). We will then make our way into Coromandel where you will join a short 1 Hour train journey takes you through replanted native Kauri forest and includes 2 spirals, 3 short tunnels, 5 reversing points and several large viaducts as it climbs up to the mountain-top terminus. It offers great panoramic views out over the island-studded Hauraki Gulf with the forested valley and mountains behind. Your night's accommodation will be in Coromandel.
- Today we will make our way down through some coastal towns to Whakatane stopping off at a few small attractions along the way. Your night's accommodation will be in Whakatane.
- Today you will join a White Island Tour crew aboard a luxury
cruiser for a 6 hour adventure to explore New Zealand’s only
active marine volcano – White Island.
Sitting 49km off the coast , this is one of the world’s most accessible live volcanoes. With the majority of the volcano sitting beneath the sea it means you are able to get directly into the crater complex – no mountain climbing required.
You are able to get up close to roaring steam vents, bubbling pits of mud, hot volcanic streams and the amazing lake of steaming acid. The vivid hues of yellow and orange resulting from the abundant sulphur on the island make it a photographer’s dream.
Your night's accommodation will be in Whakatane.
Your tour today takes you through Arapuni Village and a short walk on the 152 metre long swing bridge that crosses the Waikato River with incredible views of the Arapuni Power Station below. Afterwards we will drive to Otorohonga to the Kiwi House and and native Bird park for a close up of the National icon and join a tour to see the Kiwis being fed. We will then make our way to Waitomo Caves where you will join a 45 minute tour through the glow worm caves. We will then make our way back to Rotorua for your night's accommodation
- Today we will drive to Rotorua to visit a living Maori Village of Whakarewarewa. You will enjoy traditional song & dance performances by the Te Pakira Performance Group and then afterwards lunch from a Hangi - traditional Maori way of cooking. In the afternoon you can spend at the Hot Pools should you wish. Your night's accommodation will be in Rotorua.
- Your tour today will take you into one of the best Geothermal areas of New Zealand to Orakei Korako where you catch a short ferry crossing to this spectacular Hidden Valley as it is called. You will have a couple of hours to explore before making our way across to Huka Falls which is a natural attraction in New Zealand.It's quite remarkable to see the power of these falls. It will be then onto a drive through the area of a Geothermal Power Station before making our way back to Taupo for your night's accommodation.
- Today we will drive through to Napier the Art Deco capital of the Southern Hemisphere. After a devastating earthquake in 1931, it chose to adopt this distinctive style of architecture. You will have plenty of time to stroll around its many parks and colourful parks. Your night will be in Napier
- Today we will make our way down through the wine regions of the Hawkes Bay and Havelock North where you can spend some time tasting a few wines on your way to Wellington the capital of New Zealand. for your night's accommodation.
- There are a few options to do in Wellington as nearby there is the new wine district of Martinbrough to explore and also the Te Papa Museum an interactive national museum. I would also take you on a City Tour but then then there is also Wellington Cable Car which has the best views of the city and harbour. Your night's accommodation will be in Wellington.
- The next point of interest on your tour will be the Tongariro National Park where you will spend the night. After leaving Wellington we will make our way up through the Desert Road as locals call it stopping off at and a few other quaint villages along the way. Your night's accommodation will be at Mt Ruapehu .
- Today you will spend your time exploring this region with a few short or longer walks and surrounding areas. The choice will be yours as to what you would like to do this day. Your night will be spent at Mt Ruapehu again.
- Your tour today takes you back to Auckland via Hamilton and maybe a lunch stop at the majestic Gardens in Hamilton. Your night's accommodation will be in Auckland.
- Your flight out from Auckland
The Total Cost For This Tour :
2 Persons - NZ $10365.00 each
4 Persons - NZ $6565.00 each
18 Nights 4-5 Star accommodation with 14 breakfasts (Self contained other accommodation)
18 Days Private Flexible Touring including Airport Transfers
Kiwi House Entry & Native Bird Park
Hole In the Rock Cruise
Treaty of Waitangi Grounds