Christchurch - Kaikoura - Tasman Peninsula - Doubtful Sound - Glaciers - Queenstown -Dunedin
Day 1 - Fly into Christchurch
- I will pick you up from the Airport and take you to your accommodation in the heart of Christchurch City.
- We will start your day with a short drive out towards Lyttleton for a Gondola Ride with stunning 360° views from 500 metres above sea level - to the west gaze across the sparkling cityscape of Christchurch, over the Canterbury Plains to the high peaks of the Southern Alps. we will also visit the Transitional Cathedral The triangular window design includes 49 panels and incorporates images from Christchurch Cathedral's original rose window. We will then finish your day exploring the inner City of the new colourful containers now a vibrant shopping centre and just across the way is Quake City a unique multi-sensory attraction aimed at informing, New Zealanders and international tourists about the Canterbury earthquakes. Your night's accommodation will be in Christchurch.
- Today we will make our way up to the East Coast of New Zealand via Hamner Springs where you can relax and unwind at the Springs Thermal Pools complex in an alpine environment with large native gardens.
- We will then make our way through to Kaikoura for your night’s accommodation.
- Today I suggest a whale and dolphin tour. Kaikoura coastline is a marine environment and attracts some of the most magnificent creatures with which we share our planet. Among them are Giant Sperm Whales that can grow up to 20 metres and weigh over 50 tons. These whales can be seen all year round making Kaikoura one of the most popular whale watching locations in the world. In addition to the sperm whale a number of different species of may also be seen, depending on the season, as they follow their migratory route. This is an opportunity to sight high-spirited Dusky Dolphins, the rare and endangered Hectors Dolphin, New Zealand Fur Seals and a wide variety of sea birds including the Royal Albatross. Your night's accommodation will be in Kaikoura.
- We will then continue up to the heart of the Marlbrough Sounds Region to the Tasman and the colourful town of Motueka with some great galleries and shops. It is famous for its fishing, hops, kiwifruit and vineyards. On our way we will pass through the Marlborough Wine area for some tastings if you wish. Your tour then takes you into the gateway to the Tasman National Park Marahau will be your night's accommodation
- Your day today is all about the Tasman National Park exploring it's stunning bays and beautiful walks. There are many options here of various walks and joining a taxi to get out on the stunning bays to be picked up when you have finished your walk.
Your night's accommodation will be in Marahau
- Today we will make our way down through the West Coast of New Zealand to Murchison and the Buller River and Gorge which offers a series of activities to do like walking on the Buller Gorge swing bridge or maybe take a ride on the flying fox or just enjoy a couple of short walks. Your tour continues along the Great Coast Road stretching from Westport to Greymouth which was recently voted one of the top 10 coastal drives in the world by Lonely Planet. We will then end our day at Pancake rocks (Punakaiki) and blowholes, where columns of water shoot skyward from rocks that resemble giant stacks of hotcakes. Your nights accommodation will be in Hokitika
- Today we will take the along the West Coast way we will explore Hokitika the Greenstone capital of New Zealand and enjoy a short walk out to the Hokitika Gorge. We will then make our way through to Fox Glacier via Franz Joseph Glacier for your night's accommodation.
- Today you will have the time to explore Fox Glaciers and its beautiful Lake Matheson, famous for its mirror-like reflections of Aoraki / Mount Cook and Mount Tasman/ Rarakiroa, New Zealand’s highest peaks, on a clear day. A delightful bush track walk follows the lake edge. There is also time for an actual walk on the Glacier if you wish or those who would prefer a scenic flight...its a great way to see the bigger picture. Your night's accommodation will be in Fox Glacier.
- Today we will make our way gradually down to Queenstown. We will make our way over the famous Haast Pass to Glacier country through to the township of Wanaka, a pristine alpine lake at its doorstep and surrounded by the spectacular backdrop of the South Island's Southern Alps. It will be then onto Arrowtown for your night's accommodation.
Today we will make our way down to Queenstown situation on the beautiful Lake Wakatipu. You will have time to enjoy a Gondola Ride to the top of an amazing lookout before you join a 3-4 hours cruise on the majestic Paddle Steamer TSS Earnslaw up through Lake Wakatipu to visit Walter Peak High Country Farm for a guided farm visit & barbecue lunch. After your cruise we will make our way to historic Arrowtown for your night's accommodation.
- Your tour today takes you to the the stunning Fiordland Area of Te Anau and Manapouri which are the gateway towns to the incredible and world-famous fiords at Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound. We will drive to Te Anau situated on the beautiful pristine lake and in the afternoon you will join a 2p.m. tour of the Te Anau Caves where you will hop on a boat from the lakefront in Te Anau on a trip to the glow-worm caves. You are taken across Lake Te Anau to our amazing 12,000 year-old caves, carved out into incredible swirling shapes by the force of the river that flows through them. Your tour continues through the limestone passages on foot and by boat to find a grotto of thousands of glittering glow worms. A must experience if you like caves and glow worms .Your night's accommodation will be in Te Anau.
- Today we you will have a couple of choices a Cruise and bus trip over the Wilmot Pass to Doubtful Sound :
Your day begins in Manapouri with a cruise across the picturesque Lake Manapouri followed by a trip across New Zealand’s most expensive road over Wilmot Pass, pausing along the way to experience the dense Fiordland rainforest and view Doubtful Sound glistening far below. In Doubtful Sound you will board a purpose built catamaran for a three hour cruise. You will also have a chance to visit the Manapouri underground Power Station. This is a great day to get to know the Fiords without as many crowds.
Your other choice would be Milford Sound and there are a few different tours to choose from here. Your night's accommodation will be in Te Anau.
- Today we will make our way across to Dunedin on the East Coast of New Zealand. Along the way we will pas through the mighty Clutha River and through some picturesque villages of Lumsden and Balclutha to Dunedin for your night's accommodation
- Today we will make our
way to the Otago Peninsula and here you can visit the Royal Albatross
Centre and famous Larnach Castle before returning to your accommodation in
- Today is your last day of touring and we will be making our way slowly up through the East Coast of New Zealand stopping off at a few different towns like Oamaru with it's stunning waterfront and along the way a short stop at Moeraki Boulders which are unusually large and spherical boulders lying along a stretch of Koekohe Beach. Your night's accommodation will be in Christchurch.
The total of cost for this tour
2 Persons - NZ $9475.00 each
4 Persons - NZ $5953.00 each
This tour includes:
16 Nights 4 -5 Star accommodation with 12 breakfasts (self contained accommodation in other places)
Private flexible touring for 16 Days including Airport Transfers
Te Anau Caves Tour
Christchurch Gondala Ride
Whale Watch Tour at Kaikoura
Doubtful Sound Cruise incl lunch
Please not that this tour is based on the Peak Season in New Zealand (Dec-Mch)